Posted: 5 Apr 2014
Description of the role
The main purpose of the post is to ensure the successful achievement of qualifications by Apprentices. This will involve tutoring and providing pastoral support to our Teaching Assistant Apprentices through regular face to face meetings as well as by telephone and web-based communication tools. The postholder will be responsible for all aspects of an Apprentice’s programme once they are enrolled. Tutor/Assessors will also be expected to play an active role in managing relationships with client employees and identifying opportunities for additional Apprentice placements.
- Manage a caseload of 35 Apprentices
- Enrol and induct Apprentices onto programmes, particularly our Support Teaching and Learning course, working with the Apprentice and the Employer to design a learning and support programme which meets the needs of both.
- Provide tutorial support for all knowledge and competency aspects of vocational qualifications through high quality teaching and learning. This includes delivery one-to-one with Apprentices as well as teaching group classes where required.
- Assess Apprentices’ work against Assessment Criteria set by Awarding Organisations using a range of assessment methods and techniques
- Support the delivery of Functional Skills, including some teaching, supporting e-learning materials and organising and invigilating online exams
- Provide pastoral support to Apprentices, working with them to address personal issues which may be affecting their progress on their Apprenticeship programme. This will involve liaising and working with the company’s Safeguarding Officer and possibly external agencies where required.
- Alert Directors of any factors which create a risk the Apprentice may not successfully complete their programme in line with company procedures
- Ensuring all Learner Administration Paperwork is fully and accurately completed in line with quality and audit requirements
- Ensure all administrative aspects of an Apprentice’s programme are up to date and accurate at all times, e.g.:
- qualifications on which Apprentices are enrolled for funding purposes
- qualifications on which Apprentices are registered with Awarding Bodies
- Comply with company operating policies and procedures at all times
- Participate in team meetings as requested by Line Manager
- Act as ambassador for the business at all times when meeting with third party organisations, ensuring the reputation of the business is upheld and enhanced at all times
- Actively promote BOOM Training and the Apprenticeship brand at all times
- Actively take responsibility for own learning and development, including a minimum of 45 hours of CPD per annum, details of which must be recorded using forms provided.
- Actively participate in the company’s Quality Assurance and Improvement programme, including participation in Observations of Teaching and Learning
- Ensure that a minimum of of Apprentices complete and achieve their programmes
BOOM Training aspires to be an outstanding training organisation as defined by Ofsted, but also as perceived by our employer clients and our learners. The reason we aspire to this is because we believe this is the best strategy for the company to be successful and grow into the organisation we want it to become.
In order to achieve this, we need to ensure that all our staff also aspire to be outstanding in all that they do, each and every day. In the context of this role this means we expect the postholder to demonstrate a track record of delivering, or the potential to deliver outstanding teaching, learning, assessment and support.
If this describes you, we look forward to meeting you and discussing how you can help us to meet our aspiration.
Knowledge, Skills and qualifications
Professional/Vocational qualifications in the subject being taught to one level above the level being taught AND/OR
- a minimum of 3 years’ experiencing in a middle/senior level role AND demonstrable knowledge of the knowledge principles relating to the subject matter AND/OR
- A combination of the above
- Qualification as an Assessor (A1 or TAQA)
- Qualification as an IV
- Experience in a supervisory role (of staff or learners)
- Qualifications in English, Maths and ICT to level 2
- Knowledge/understanding and experience of working within the Ofsted Common Inspection Framework
- A track record of at least grade 2 teaching, learning and assessment as evidence by Observation reports
- An evidenced track record of 85achievement of candidates being supported
Experience delivering Apprenticeship programmes in the relevant subject area
Attitudes and behaviours
- The determination to achieve an outstanding standard in all aspects of the role as a Tutor/Assessor
- Willingness to be a flexible and proactive team player willing to participate in a wide range of tasks as required in order to ensure the company is able to thrive and grow.
We require our Tutor/Assesor to be local in the Exeter area as this is where the position shall be based.
With a competitive salary and great career prospects, we'd love to hear from you!
Please contact Shirley Wolfe on 02380 680 060